Local Motion is a member-supported non-profit organization working on "Making it safe, accessible, and fun for everyone to bike, walk, and roll in Vermont." Through the promotion of walking and biking events, the organization of education and training opportunities, giving a voice to bike/pedestrian issues within the statehouse and working with communities to make on-the-ground changes to increase safety for walking and biking - Local Motion is helping Vermont communities to become more walkable, bikeable and livable.
Community leaders founded the organization in 1999 to develop the Winooski River Bike Ferry and the 10-mile historic Cycle the City tour. With two early successes, the organization broadened its sights on making the Greater Burlington area a better place to walk, bike, run, and ski. In 2015 the organization merged with the Vermont Bike and Pedestrian Coalition, and today represents the voice of Vermonters and Vermont communities who want to make walking and biking part of our everyday play, work, and community.
Our programs today include:
- Helping residents and towns build Complete Streets, streets, and roads that safely accommodate all modes of transportation including walking, running, and biking.
- Connecting the Greater Burlington area and the Lake Champlain Islands with the Island Line Rail Trail and bike ferry, operating from Memorial Day to Columbus Day and serving more than 16,000 riders every year.
- Teaching children bike skills and the joys of an active life with Bike Smart, which reaches more than 7,000 schoolchildren each year.
- Operating a Trailside Center on the Burlington waterfront providing bike rentals, maps, and advocacy information to nearly 10,000 customers every year
- Improving the civility and safety on VT's roadways through the Safe Streets Network, community engagement, and online tools and resources
Today we have over 1,400 member households, a 11-member Board of Directors, 250 volunteers, and a long wish list of projects still to tackle. Help us bring walking and biking within reach for more Vermonters and Vermont communities by becoming a supporter of Local Motion today! Contributions are tax-deductible.
2022-2026 Strategic Plan
See more about how we plan to implement and develop our mission over the next several years!