Vermont Safe Routes to School
Is Your School Signed Up for Safe Routes to School (SRTS)?
Safe Routes to School (SRTS) is a comprehensive program based on a simple premise: our kids should be able to safely walk and bike to school. Walking and biking to school helps students develop independence, improves academic performance, helps reduce traffic congestion and air pollution, and helps create a stronger community.
Vermont Safe Routes to School has been part of the VTrans Bicycle and Pedestrian Program for almost a decade.
Since that time, Local Motion has served as statewide SRTS coordinator. Our role is as follows:
- Confirming progress through the levels of the program
- Answering questions from school "champions"
- Providing guidance to partner schools
- Sending out newsletters about upcoming events and opportunities
- Providing support with activities and events
- Helping create and update School Travel Plans
To learn more about what Safe Routes to School can offer to your school:
Have activities that you want to report? Go here:
April 1-June 15, 2022 - Launch of Spring Safe Routes To School events, like PARK(ing) day! Stay tuned for more information
May 4 - Walk and Roll to School Day
October 1st - 31st - Fall Walk and Roll to School Challenge
February 2, 2022 - Winter Walk to School Day
Sign up for Winter Walk to School Day giveaways (hot chocolate and stickers)
Any Day in February 2022 - Alternate Winter Walk to School Day