Other Ways to Give

Donating Securities 

A gift of appreciated stocks or other securities can be a tax-wise way to support Local Motion.

Older couple biking together along the Colchester Causeway in Vermont in spring“If you have a position in your investment portfolio that appreciated in value, you normally need to pay capital gains taxes on that increase. But if you donate appreciated assets, you can not only deduct the value of the charitable contributions from that years' taxes but you also get to avoid getting taxed on the unrealized gain of the donated stock.”

(Making Charitable Donations of Stock Instead of Cash After Tax Reform, Forbes 11/26/2018) 

To make a gift of stock to Local Motion, please instruct your broker to transfer the stocks or bonds to Local Motion’s account at:

Charles Schwab
Account # 5720-9766
DTC# 0164

Please notify or have your broker notify Local Motion when you make your gift, so we can appropriately acknowledge your gift. (Otherwise, we may not know who the gift is coming from.) If you have any questions, contact us at [email protected], or tel 802-861-2700 Ext 109.

Remembering Local Motion In Your Will

A planned gift will help to bring walking and biking within reach for all Vermonters.

A bike parked on the Causeway during sunsetLike you, Local Motion is committed to creating a more sustainable Vermont for future generations in which everyone, of all ages and all abilities, has the choice to walk or bike for everyday errands or daily commutes, for recreation and fun, for fitness and health, for the sheer joy of it.

Local Motion has partnered with the Vermont Community Foundation to provide a wide range of opportunities including annuities, trusts, charitable bequests, Local Motion's ACTIVE Fund, and more.

To talk about planned gift options, contact us at [email protected] or tel 802-861-2700 Ext 108.

Workplace Giving and Employer Matching Gifts

A bike commuter pedaling along a bike lane on their way to workA simple and cost-effective way to give is through employers who offer a workplace giving program, often through payroll deductions. Some employers will even match their employees' gifts at 1:1 or even double! 

To begin, contact your Human Resources Department. Most employers will give you a form to complete and send to us. We will verify the information on the completed form, and return it to the company for approval and processing. 

Vermont State employees can give through the annual charitable appeal at VTShares.vermont.gov.

Consider volunteering! 

Every year, hundreds of volunteers donate thousands of hours and have a ton of fun along the way. Some employers even encourage their employees to volunteer on company time! Learn more about all of our volunteer opportunities!

To explore any of these opportunities in greater detail, please contact:

802-861-2700 or [email protected]