If you enjoy biking from inn-to-inn, not having to carry your own gear, and discovering fun new places with Social Riding friends – you can now plan to join us for a new 6+ day bicycle tour in the Niagara wine region of Ontario, Canada. Within an easy day’s drive, this tour will start in Niagara Falls, on Saturday September 17th (1st day or riding is the 18th) - so we’ll be there in time to see the falls in the fall.
Because the small B&B’s fill up quickly, it is important to put down your $500 deposit early. Those who don’t sign up early may not get rooms at the same location. You can register online at www.Randonneetours.com. Look up the Niagara 8-day tour. I’ve gone with this group on two other self-guided tours, and I assure you this is an excellent way to go. Mention that this is the tour that Donna Leban is leading when you sign up, and kindly let me know. Cancellation insurance can be purchased for a 5% surcharge when you sign up if you are worried about this. If you are looking for someone to room with and avoid the single supplement, we currently have a single man and a single woman signed up looking for a roommate. No one should have to drive on their own.
Here is a cost breakdown. Note that in the brochure, costs are in Canadian dollars.
Published cost of the 8-day tour with Classic accommodations = $1,985 CAN
Less $160 if you bring your own bicycle = $1,825 CAN
In US Dollars = $1,352 at current exchange rate of $ 0.741 US to $1 CAN
If we have a minimum of 8 people sign up = $1,217 per person (10% discount for all).
Compare this with the cost of a similar trip by Sojourn this year to the same region ($2,695), although theirs may include more meals.
Here are 10 great reasons to go on this tour:
1. This is a do-able tour for just about anyone who has every wanted to go on a bike tour- about 30-35 miles per day, but also offers additional mileage options for those who want more of a daily workout.
2. The tour features riding in Ontario wine country, so expect to enjoy excellent wineries and food, as well as excellent B&B accommodations.
3. This is a very affordable way to do bicycle touring, while staying in very nice B&B’s – NOT CAMPING. While we don’t have a sag wagon, our bags are transported for us when transferring between locations.
4. It’s in Canada! With its excellent public facilities, this region is said to be the best riding in all of Ontario- where you can ride alongside huge ships in the Welland Ship Channel or along the Niagara River on the off road parkway, and through inland wineries of the Niagara Escarpment to lovely small towns with little car and truck traffic.
5. You get to ride with nice people you know, and who won’t leave you in the dust (so to speak). We are provided with excellent directions and maps by our host, and since language will not be an issue on this tour, we really can’t get lost.
6. It’s a great time of year for riding, with average temperatures in the 70’s, and plenty of scenic beauty of the less mountainous variety. The Niagara Escarpment does provide rolling hills and some climbing, but nothing severe.
7. Planning a bicycle tour in the fall is a great incentive to get out on your bike this summer.
8. As with any bike tour, you can enjoy eating and not gain weight. Breakfasts are always included.
9. You can impress your friends. Our friends were completely impressed at our doing the Slovenia bicycle tour last year.
10. Our rides are always about having fun and good comradery. You can expect good times and many fabulous memories - as from our past trips to Tuscany, Haute Provence, and Slovenia/Italy.
Call or email me if you have any questions. See you soon on your bikes on a Social Ride, or other GMBC ride.
starts in Niagara Falls Ontario
Niagara Falls, ON
Google map and directions