Local Motion is a member-supported non-profit organization promoting people-powered transportation and recreation for healthy and sustainable Vermont communities.
We've improved personal health and the local economy by developing regional trails, promoting walkable communities, and fostering active lifestyles.
Community leaders founded the organization in 1999 to develop the Winooski River Bike Ferry and the 10-mile historic Cycle the City tour. With two early successes, the organization broadened its sights on making the Greater Burlington area a better place to walk, bike, run and ski. The organization has flourished and today we:
- Help residents and towns build more sidewalks, trails and safe streets
- Host events like Intervale XC Skiing and Great Ice to keep people active all year long
- Run a community bicycle shop Bike Recycle Vermont in Burlington's Old North End
- Operate the Causeway Bike Ferry and are close to dramatically expanding service
- Operate a Trailside Center on the Burlington waterfront providing maps, rentals and advocacy information
- Improve the civility and safety on VT's roadways through the Safe Streets Collaborative
- Manage the Trail Finder -- a free online mapping resource for all area trails
Today we have 1,000+ member households, a 15-member Board of Directors, 400 annual volunteers and a long wish list of projects still to tackle. Help us grow in our second decade by becoming a member today! Contributions are tax-deductible (less $10 for the estimated benefits that members receive).