Local Motion worked with community health and municipal staff to identify issues and opportunities for making biking and walking safer and more accessible in St. Johnsbury. The assessment included a community visit, tour and discussion resulting in the identification a number of ideas and solutions.
- Reconfigure traffic flow at Main Street and Western Avenue.
- Install temporary improvements on a “pop-up” experimental basis at Main Street and Eastern Avenue.
- Reduce lane widths and install bike lanes on Main Street.
- Make safety improvements to crosswalks at the north end of Main Street.
- Add bike lanes to Hastings and Memorial to connect Main Street with Route 5 and Old Center Road.
- Restripe selected roads with 10’ vehicle lanes and wider shoulders.
- Consider installing advisory bike lanes on Old Center Road.
- Non-infrastructure strategies