Education for Kids
Local Motion has many incredible programs to introduce children to the joys of walking and biking, and teach them how to walk and bike safely. From our Bike Smart program, which provides a 20' trailer packed with bikes, helmets and training materials to schools and organizations for 1-2 weeks, to Safe Routes to School, which gives children the encouragement and tools they need to choose to walk and bike to school, to our Learn to Ride classes, which give parents and kids a fun, stress-free place to learn how to master life on two wheels--we've got something for everyone.
Safe Routes to School (SRTS) is a comprehensive program based on a simple premise: our kids should be able to safely walk and bike to school. Walking and biking to school helps students develop independence, improves academic performance, helps reduce traffic congestion and air pollution, and helps create a stronger community.
Vermont Safe Routes to School has been part of the VTrans Bicycle and Pedestrian Program for almost a decade. Dedicated funding for VT SRTS came to an end in May 2016. Since that time, Local Motion has served as statewide SRTS coordinator. Our role is as follows:
- Confirming progress through the levels of the program
- Answering questions from school "champions"
- Providing guidance to partner schools
- Sending out newsletters about upcoming events and opportunities
- Providing support with activities and events
- Helping create and update School Travel Plans
- Engaging schools through the Way to Go! to School Challenge
Looking for ways to support your Winter Walk to School Day this season? Check out our toolkit! We've got posters, parent letters, and more!
For more information and Safe Routes to School resources, go to the website here