Local Motion is a member-supported non-profit organization promoting walking and biking for everyone, and helping Vermont communities to become more walkable, bikeable and livable. Community leaders founded the organization in 1999 to develop the Winooski River Bike Ferry and the 10-mile historic Cycle the City tour.
With two early successes, the organization broadened its sights on making the Greater Burlington area a better place to walk, bike, run and ski. In 2015 the organization merged with the Vermont Bike and Pedestrian Coalition, and today represents the voice of Vermonters and Vermont communities who want to make walking and biking part of our every day play, work and community.
Our programs today include:
- Helping residents and towns build Complete Streets, streets and roads that safely accomodate all modes of transportation including walking, running and biking.
- Connecting the Greater Burlington area and the Lake Champlain Islands with the Island Line Rail Trail and bike ferry, operating from Memorial Day to Columbus Day and serving more than 12,000 riders ever year.
- Teaching children bike skills and the joys of an active life with Kohl's for Kids Bike Smart, which reaches more than 7,000 scholchildren each year.
- Operating a Trailside Center on the Burlington waterfront providing maps, bike rentals and advocacy information to nearly 10,000 customers every year
- Improving the civility and safety on VT's roadways through the Safe Streets Network, community engagement and online tools and resources
Today we have 1,200 member households, a 11-member Board of Directors, 250 volunteers, and a long wish list of projects still to tackle. Help us bring walking and biking within reach for more Vermonters and Vermont communities by becoming a supporter of Local Motion today! Contributions are tax-deductible.
Support our Work!